Sunday, April 1, 2012

What the joy in her smile really means


A beautiful woman seated on a flowery cushion,
Light dancing on her face in an early afternoon.
Her radiant smile brings joy around her
As she gazes at the baby wrapped in her bosom.

It makes me wonder what she thinks,
or what the joy in her smile really means.
Is it the promise of years for her youngest of 7,
or the bliss of being mother once again?

The best moment I've had with my mother,
captured on the 7th of October.
I treasure this more than any other,
An assuring memory of love that is forever.

****************
The memories of my mother are mere fragments of an early life. She died when I was 4, I'm not even sure if the memories I have of her are imagined or real. The photographs though fading and old are the only things I hold on to when I want to feel the assurance that all will be well for a mother's love endures and outlives her passing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote this. Whether your memories are real or imagined, what is important is that you created something tangible from those memories--and this makes it true because it is part of who you are. Your poem enlarges the photo's meaning, taking it above and beyond a black and white image to the "assurance that all will be well, for a mother's love endures and outlives her passing." Nothing can be truer than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete